Patrick Purviance – SQL Server DBA Blog
Blogging impactful solutions for SQL Server DBAs worldwide

Archive for the ‘Analysis Services’ Category

The target principal name is incorrect….

Friday, January 28th, 2011

Documenting another solution for a problem I ran into today.

Whilst attempting to connect to a SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services (SSAS) host, I was prompted with the following error:



After fumbling around trying to figure out why the “princpal name was incorrect”, I tried the fully qualified domain name for the host and waalaaa, I was in. It also works via IP address. I’m guessing here that SSAS connections are even more reliant upon SPNs (Service Principal Names).