Patrick Purviance – SQL Server DBA Blog
Blogging impactful solutions for SQL Server DBAs worldwide

The target principal name is incorrect….

Documenting another solution for a problem I ran into today.

Whilst attempting to connect to a SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services (SSAS) host, I was prompted with the following error:



After fumbling around trying to figure out why the “princpal name was incorrect”, I tried the fully qualified domain name for the host and waalaaa, I was in. It also works via IP address. I’m guessing here that SSAS connections are even more reliant upon SPNs (Service Principal Names).


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *